Translate

Friday, December 12, 2014

Things I need to learn: One is not a whole number

When I was little I didn't want help doing new things. I wanted to do it myself; to impress others with how much I already knew. Of course, as a little kid I couldn't do much, life kept teaching me that. I, however, chose not to listen to life. I was going to do life my way, even if it killed me. And it almost did.

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed (Proverbs 15:22).

After losing my "self" while growing up; because I denied authenticity to gain perceived acceptance, I lost my freedom and my "mind" for ten years because I rebelled against the truth God told me about myself (that I am vile, evil and depraved). Now, twenty-eight years after accepting Jesus and over fifty years since I began trying to impress the world with what I know, I realize that I know only a small part of what I need to know. And others, whether they know it or not, have a valuable contribution to make in my life and I in theirs (if we will let each other). John Maxwell said, "One is too small a number for greatness." We are complementary. We are synergistic. Together we are greater than what we are individually. And what we still lack together, God will supply, if we ask him.

To "grow" I must become "smaller" in order to have room for the greatness God pours through others.

No comments:

Post a Comment