Translate

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Spare change can change your life...


Luke 12 NKJV
13Then one from the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”14But He said to him, “Man, who made Me a judge or an arbitrator over you?” 15And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of £covetousness [greed], for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”16Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.”’ 20But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’21“So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
 Your life can be as rich and sweet and full of joy as any millionaire's, or even more so.  And a millionaire's life can be as bankrupt as anyone in bankruptcy, or even more so.  Jesus said our life is not determined by what we own.  Money can solve some problems, but it can bring even more of its own, (like the desire for more money).  I was never so greedy as when I had more money (and depended on money).  I've never felt more free to give than when I didn't have a job (and depended on God to provide).

Have you ever noticed that some people are strong and some are weak?  Some rich and some poor?  Some are blind and some can see?  Some are brilliant and some struggle?  Some are healthy and some are sick?  The early followers' of Jesus had a solution to these problems.  The strong helped the weak.  The rich helped the poor.  The blind were healed or helped by those that could see.  Those who could think well helped those who couldn't.  The healthy healed or helped those who were sick.

God didn't give the Rich Man in the parable plentiful crops so that he could "take [his] ease; eat, drink and be merry" for many years.  I believe when God gives me more than I need it is to serve with it, not to indulge myself with it.  I find more fun in meeting someone else's need in the name of Jesus, than in buying myself something that I don't need.

For about the price of a coffee, roughly $1.33 a day, you can change the life of a child by sponsoring them through

Hope for Children part of World Hope International at:
http://www.worldhope.org/page.aspx?pid=511

or Compassion International at:
http://www.compassion.com/

You will give them education, nutrition, and medical care.  And the opportunity to meet Jesus.

And giving that $1.33 a day just might change your life as much as your child's.

No comments:

Post a Comment