Translate

Thursday, July 4, 2013

I wasn't a "Cheerful" giver

Much of the time I have the wrong attitude about giving.  I give out guilt or compulsion, out of a feeling of "I have to, it's expected."  I feel bad before, during and after the giving.  It's a bad experience.  I had read in the Bible that God loves a cheerful giver.  I wondered what that meant.  Cheerful has the same root word as "hilarious".  I knew I wasn't feeling that when I gave.  I asked God to make me a hilarious giver.

Our friends needed some money and so I asked God if my wife and I could give with "hilarity."  We gave them some money and we felt great.  We were so happy that God was providing what they needed, that their needs were being met and that God had graciously allowed my wife and me to be a part of this miracle.  Jesus said, "Give and it will be given back to you. Pressed down, shaken together and running over into your lap."  It wasn't money that was given back to us.  It was something far more valuable.  We were given "Joy", a heart filled with "Hilarity."

I have long since forgotten about the money I spent on myself that year.  But I will always remember how God had mercy on me and filled me with "Hilarity" simply because I asked Him to enable me to do what He desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment