Translate

Monday, July 29, 2013

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

   
Psalm 23  King James Version
   1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
   2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 
  3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
  4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
  5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
   6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

THE LORD is my abba, Father, my dada, my daddy.  I can depend on Him.  I depend on Him like a child depends on his earthly father.  I can put all things in His hands.  

He likes me.  

Not just anyone is my shepherd, The LORD is my Shepherd.  He knows everything.  He has the character to always do what is right and best for me regardless of what it costs Him.  He is in charge, He is the one I belong to.  I want to follow Him and suffer for Him if I must because I know that in the end it will be best for others and for me and I will develop a fellowship with Jesus that I can't develop any other way. Jesus will direct my steps... by obeying Him I will not be in want.

The Lord is my shepherd.  He will take care of me.  He will take care of my necessities.  He will guide me and he knows the way.  He is the Good Shepherd, He suffers condemnation so that His sheep will not have to suffer condemnation.

I will never lack any good thing.  I am like a tree planted by streams of water, whose leaf does not wither in drought.  God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, promise to give me everything I need.  I do not need to fear lacking anything at any time.  If I put God first, if I obey Him, all things I need will be given to me as well.  My primary source of worry - lack - has been taken care of by Jesus.

The Father is my Shepherd.  Shepherds love their sheep, at least this one does.  He loves and cares for me even when I am unaware of His work on my behalf.  He loves me when I am ungrateful, and when I thank Him.  Father, Thank you for sending Jesus to die for me when I did not deserve it.  Help me to love like You.  For the need of the other person.  Not just when I have loving feelings.

Lord, I love some people but I don't like them.  How do you do it?  Do you love in the hope of someday the other person loving You back?  Is that what it means to dig around the plant and give it fertilizer and if it still doesn't produce fruit then you cut it down?  Or do you have warm feelings toward those who seemingly reject Your love?

How can I be a better father to my sons?  What does it mean to be a better husband?  I want to be a husband like the husband in Alex Kendrick's "Fireproof."  I want to pursue my wife with my whole heart.  I want to take the "Love Dare".  I want to be a father like Alex Kendrick portrayed in "Courageous" - not a "good-enough" father but wholeheartedly devoted to You and and my wife and my children  Oh Lord, light a fire in me that burns in devotion for You, my wife and my children.  Lord, I want to take this "Resolution" from the movie "Courageous" seriously.  You are my Rock, I have none other but You.  Fill me anew with your Spirit, make me fully alive.  Would You be the focus of all my thoughts, all my dreams and all my aspirations.  Lord, I want to Love You, but I don't know how.  I want my heart and thoughts to be with You.  I want to have special conversations with You.  Would You speak with me the way You do with Dr. Charles Stanley of In Touch Ministries?

Lord, I am proud.  Help me to humble myself before You.

Lord, I want to be willing to do anything for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment